Since it's Christmas In July, I thought I'd share a handmade gift I made for my daughter last Christmas. My daughter is a Frozen fanatic. I believe it was her first favorite movie, and I decided to make her a Frozen inspired hat and scarf set to keep her warm out here in the Pacific Northwest. Since Elsa was her favorite at the time (she alternates between Anna, Elsa, and Olaf being her favorite character), I decided to make the theme of the hat and scarf set kind of like Elsa with different shades of blue.
So I started with a scarf... I searched Pinterest for inspiration, and I found lots of scarves called fairy scarves, and they were gorgeous. They included a mixture of crochet and fabric and lace... just lovely. So for my daughter's scarf, I decided to weave sashay yarn through the holes, use the sashay yarn to create tassels, and add crochet leaves and fun fur. I didn't use a pattern to make the scarf and hat, and I attempted to make a pattern to share, but I think I only have the scarf pattern covered.
To make the scarf:
- Red Heart Icelandic
- Red Heart Boutique Sashay Jive
- Red Heart Boutique Fur Polar
- Caron Simply Soft White
- Caron Simply Soft Ocean
- Caron simply Soft Blue Mint
- Caron Simply Soft Heather
- Lion Brand Fun Fur White
- size f crochet hook
- ch 180
- row 1: dc in 6th ch from hook, *(ch 2, skip next 2 sts, dc in next st,) repeat from * across to the last dc. ch 2 and turn.
- row 2: *skip next 2 sts, dc in next st, repeat across to the last dc. ch 2 and turn.
- rows 3 - 8: repeat row 2. On row 8, do not ch 2 at the end. Fasten off.
- weave sashay yarn through alternating rows & cut strips of sashay yarn to tie onto the ends of the scarf like tassels. Tie on fun fur.
- ch 11
- slst in 2nd ch from the hook and across to the end. Fasten off.
- attach new color
- ch 2
- hdc in next 2 sts, dc in next 2 sts, tr in next 2 sts, dc in next 2 sts, hdc ch 1 hdc in last st.
- hdc in next st, dc in next 2 sts, tr in next 2 sts, dc in next 2 sts, hdc in next st, 2 hdc in last. Join with slst to beginning.
- ch 20+ and join to the end of the scarf.
After I attached the hood to the scarf, I added faux fur around the opening and around where I stitched the hood and scarf together. I also added a furry pom-pom to the hood.
When my daughter wears this scoodie, people say it makes them think of Elsa/Frozen. Yay!